A nice sunny day provided a welcome start for the 30 walkers as they set off from Brampton across fields and along paths to the first stop at the Jacobite monument at Capon Tree. They then took the Black Path to Low Gelt Woods, an area of mature woodland with natural regeneration, then followed the "Mad" river Gelt to Low Gelt Bridge, passing through the woods past damp, craggy sandstone outcrops which form a natural habitat for mosses and other vegetation.
Passing along Thief Street the rural idyll was shattered by the sounds and smells from a motocross rally which was taking place on nearby Hollow Bank. It proved to be of considerable interest to the group and made some quite nostalgic - though there were no volunteers! Lunch was taken at the side of the Conran Cutting which was formed for the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway in 1836 and required the removal of 1 million cubic yards of soil etc.- all by pick and shovel!!
After visiting the village of Greenwell (see photo) which had its own watermill until 1939, they again followed the river to Middle Gelt Bridge, a fine example of a skew viaduct which was completed in 1835 and which towers 56 feet above the roadway. The final part of the walk was through Middle Gelt Woods, this part being at the thicket stage of its development. Following the busy River Gelt through woodland and over the Hellbeck Burn, the scene nearby of a bloody battle in 1570, the walk passed the massive sandstone face of Brampton Facestone Quarry used since Roman times and then through an area littered with fallen trees. Somewhat wearily but with a sense of achievement the party returned to Brampton down Gelt Road, the very road which Bonnie Prince Charlie and his army used on their way to besiege Carlisle during the Jacobite rebellion in 1745.