37 walkers enjoyed this sunny Saturday walk in the hills above the town of Sanquhar.
From the town progress was steadily upward on tarmac road then following the Southern Upland Way on to the moors, giving excellent views of the area, before turning off past Bogg Cottage toward Auchentaggart Farm where there was a halt for a snack lunch. A Lanulla or Lunette was found here many years ago by John Wilson, a ploughman. He placed on his mantelpiece but in 1878 it was seen and obtained by the local doctor following which, the Duke of Buccleuch claimed it. It is a crescent-shaped necklace of gold, and is associated with the Druids, as there are one or two of their sites in the area. It has been dated as 2300 – 2000 BC – the Bronze Age. It is now on display at the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.
The group then progressed downhill to meet the road to the Mennock Pass before turning off to climb back up on top of the moors where we met the original route. Not long after this the group split into those who chose to take the muddier, but shorter route across the hill and those who elected to stay on the road back to Sanquhar.
The final destination was the Crown Hotel in the High Street where the hungry walkers were treated to homemade vegetable soup, sandwiches, tattie scones and tea or coffee to finish of an enjoyable day.